RE: XML design of Database

Hi!

[snip]

> The other problem is that XML documents don't necessarily
> lend themselves
> directly to database representations. This is particularly true for
> documents that represent marked-up text. For example, anyone
> designing a
> database to support the following structure:
>
> <!ELEMENT A (#PCDATA | B)*>
> <!ELEMENT B (#PCDATA)>
>
> will have a headache handling documents like this:
>
> <A>
>   <B>Here's some</B>text embedded <B>in</B> the A eleme<B>n</B>t
> </A>

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I put the DTD above in Tamino and stored your
document.

Here is what comes back when retrieving the document, query string was
simple "A", meaning "give me all documents matching root-tag = A".

This was taken from IE5. Let me remind you that Tamino's answers are
themselves well-formed xml documents. The matching documents are returned in
the <xql:result/> tag; ino:id, as you already guessed, is an internal number
every documents gets.

- <ino:response xmlns:ino="http://namespaces.softwareag.com/tamino/response"
xmlns:xql="http://metalab.unc.edu/xql/">
  <xql:query>A</xql:query>
- <ino:message ino:returnvalue="0">
  <ino:messageline>XQL Request processing</ino:messageline>
  </ino:message>
- <xql:result>
- <A ino:id="1">
  <B>Here's some</B>
  text embedded
  <B>in</B>
  the A eleme
  <B>n</B>
  </A>
  </xql:result>
- <ino:cursor ino:count="1">
  <ino:first ino:href="?_XQL(1,16)=A" />
  </ino:cursor>
- <ino:message ino:returnvalue="0">
  <ino:messageline>XQL Request processed</ino:messageline>
  </ino:message>
  </ino:response>

It gets more interesting: When retrieving with query "A/B", Tamino comes
back with:
[...]
- <xql:result>
  <B ino:id="1">Here's some</B>
  <B ino:id="1">in</B>
  <B ino:id="1">n</B>
  </xql:result>
[...]

[snip]

Kind regards,

Andreas

--
Opinions expressed herein are mine, not those of my employer or my
employer's affiliates. Software AG can not be hold liable for any comments