RE: XMetaL1.2 + XT and encoding

> I use XMetaL 1.2, which has XT incorporated for preview
> purposes, and I have
> trouble getting special characters in the HTML output.

I'm not sure whether this is the cause, but
XMetaL 1.2 supports ISO-8859-1 (see the online help)
whereas XT supports only UTF-8. XMetaL 2 (Softquad tells
me) will support UTF-8 and UTF-16, which may alleviate
your problems. In the meantime, try converting your
XML sources to HTML with Saxon and set the output encoding
to ISO-8859-1, see if this makes any difference.
If you are really stuck, contact Softquad support,
who are usually quite prompt in replying.

Regards,
Dr. Marc Beckers
Documentation Consultant
Software AG