Full xml output

In converting a file from SGML to XML, I
have come across a versioning system that, I think,
provides a fair use case for the ability to output entities.

The source documents (~60) use an external entity file
to hold the versions

<!ENTITY relvers CDATA "4.0.1">
<!ENTITY prevrelvers CDATA "4.0">
<!ENTITY srcvers CDATA "401">
<!ENTITY prevsrcvers CDATA "400">
<!-- Version of the most recent 3.3.x release -->
<!ENTITY legacyvers CDATA "3.3.6">

Of course the parser converts the entities to values,
but my 'need' is to have, as part of the xml output
(having been through xt) the entities, rather than the version numbers.

Can it be done other than by a search and replace in the output xml file?

the other problem is INCLUDE /IGNORE sections in the SGML source,
dependant on the version number.
Is it possible to carry this through without pre-processing /
post-processing?

Regards DaveP