RE: Broken tables, SGML to XML conversion

If you're starting with SGML and XSLT requires well-formed XML as input, it
might be simplest to first pipe your input through James Clark's sx, which
converts SGML to XML. It's part of SP. I have a little batch file among my
utilities called sgml2xml.bat that just has this one line:

  c:\bin\sx -xempty %1.sgm > %1.xml

As  http://www.jclark.com/sp/sx.htm describes it, -xempty tells it to "Use
the <e/> syntax for element types e declared as EMPTY. " I believe if you
leave it out empty element e would be <e></e>, which is fine.

Bob DuCharme          www.snee.com/bob           <bob@
snee.com>  "The elements be kind to thee, and make thy
spirits all of comfort!" Anthony and Cleopatra, III ii