Re: XSLT feature request - element value templates!

David Carlisle wrote:

> simplifying xsl:value down to {} would only deal with
> a relatively infrequent case, as normally in elements you are wanting
> some more structured data. using text like {} instead of an element node

This is where my original suggestion makes a little more sense.

<xsl:text template="{$a}/{$b}.html" />

This can still be inserted amongst other content elements, it just
provides a concise syntax for generating dense text nodes that
happens to be consistent with the avt syntax.

The {} characters can still be generated using good old

<xsl:text>{}</xsl:text>

and content which requires these characters must be handled in the
way we are accustomed to now.

David Carlisle wrote:

> having a more concise syntax for
> passing parameters would help a lot more

You're right - this would be number two on my list of annoying
things in XSLT. In particular, I'd like a facility for calling
templates as if they were functions inside of

<xsl:value-of select=" ... " />

elements, making those pesky recursive templates a whole lot
more concise. There are sure to be bugs in this example.

<xsl:template name="recursive_template">
  <xsl:param name="p1" />
  <xsl:param name="p2" />

  <xsl:if test="not_finished">
    <xsl:value-of select="template:recursive_template(
      p1=$p1, p2=$p2)" />
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

--