Re: xsl:message inside of xsl:variable

Hi Warren,

> In any case, I'm not sure that Saxon is actually giving you the behaviour
> that you want. If you make the following modification to your stylesheet
>
> <xsl:template match="/">
>   <xsl:variable name="message">
>       <xsl:message>a message</xsl:message>
>       <xsl:text>some text</xsl:text>
>    </xsl:variable>
>
>    <xsl:message>real message</xsl:message>  <!-- new -->
>    <xsl:value-of select="$message" />
> </xsl:template>
>
> you get:
>
> a message
> real message
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>some text

That is what I expected. :-)

> It would appear that the message isn't actually being stored as you
> suggest.

That's a misunderstanding. I don't want to store the message, I want to see
it. ;-)

After thinking it over I came to the conclusion that XT and LotusXSL
are broken in this respect.

If I have a complex computation whose result tree is stored into a variable,
and the stylesheet has to output a message because something goes wrong
then I expect to see the message in any way.

Regards to the other side of the globe,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |