Re: asp assistance please

"Pawson, David" wrote:

> I've been asked to approach a 'server'
> (I knew it would happen eventually <sob/>)
>
> A colleague is familiar with asp,
> never seen XSLT.
>
> I'm the reverse.

The latest Apache::ASP v1.93 has an XML/XSLT extension
which you can read up about at

  http://www.nodeworks.com/asp/xml.html#XSLT%20Tranformations

and view the online example at

  http://www.nodeworks.com/asp/eg/xslt.xml

As an alternative to the Cocoon & AxKit environments,

  http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/
  http://www.axkit.org/

Apache::ASP executes the XML & XSL as perl ASP scripts,
and then does the XSLT transformation to the output
of the two.  This dynamic XML & XSL is very powerful
and I see it as the state of the art for server side
XSLT rendering technologies, which both Cocoon & AxKit
implement in other ways.

If you have not set up Apache + mod_perl, the learning
curve can be pretty steep, but can be simplified by
using the mod_perl guide as your bible:

  http://perl.apache.org/guide/install.html

Then learn how to use CPAN  "perldoc CPAN" to install
Apache::ASP & XML::XSLT

 > perl -MCPAN -e shell
 cpan> install Bundle::Apache::ASP
 cpan> install Bundle::XML

I'm assuming you already have perl installed somewhere ;)
This would be typical with your ordinary Linux distribution.

If you are on NT/IIS, there seem to be some XML rendering
objects accessible from your normal $Server->CreateObject()
method, but this solution does not seem to be as well
integrated as the other offerings I already mentioned.

Best of luck,

Joshua