Re: Attributes and DOM

Jean:

I asked this same question on many XML related lists.  It was in relation to a
question we were struggling with in EbXML.  We are designing the Technical
Architecture for a system of interpretability and efficiency is of utmost
importance.

The general consensus was that there is no appreciable loss of performance with
straight parsing, however, using XSL/T to perform transformations on attribute
heavy XML, there was a slightly noticeable decrease in performance.   This
question was posed six months ago so someone may have bench marked more data to
analyse this subject further.

When you state "loading in the DOM",  the fundamental concept is that the
parser only reads and loads into a tree structure the XML.  When you start
registering different handlers, the answer gets more obfuscated.  Many people
do not fully understand the difference between the parser and the handlers used
to perform additional operations.  it was felt that the  secondary handling of
the tree structures attributes may be only slightly (read -> not enough to be
relevant) more cumbersome.

I suggest this question may be better suited for an XML centric list rather
than this XSL newsgroup. (Tony - no warnings necessary ;-)

Beers!!!

Duane Nickull
XML Global Technologies