Re: Why aren't rules matched with "*"?

Darrin Bishop wrote:
> Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but, you did not specify an axis,
> therefore you are really saying child::*.  You are looking for all the
> element nodes that are children of your current contect node.

You're not wrong, but to be more accurate:

"*" does mean in this case "child::*".

child::* means, essentially:

  from among all the nodes along the child axis,
  just the ones that are elements with any name,
  in no namespace.

(i.e., "*" will not pick up the same elements as "foo:*")

Charles Cantrell wrote:
> Why aren't the Menu, Table and so on rules matched, as well as others?

It sounds like you might be under the mistaken impression that what you
are putting in the select attribute is explicitly selecting the template
you want to apply. You are actually identifying a set of nodes that you
want to process. The XSLT processor uses the match, mode and priority
attributes of xsl:template to find the template that best matches each
node in the set you want to process.

-Mike