portability. (Re: microsoft latest, bug with extension elements )?

> more to the point, I want to distribute my TEI stylesheets so that
> they'll be useable by any processor (to the best of its ability)
> without any further ado.

Sounds like very exciting occupation. I'l be glad to know
how far will you get ( I gave up long time ago because
of extensions ).

Maybe what you meant to say is  "useable by some number
( 4? ) of XSLT processors" ?

> Or, I can just
>
>  - wait for XSLT 1.1
>  - wait for processors to all be compliant
>
> neither of which may be that long

Honestly - the simplest workaround I see is
to write 'extremely portable XSLT-stylesheets'
( I think this task is a bit hypotetical, but whatever )
is to write them not in XSLT, but to use the
preprocessor.

With preprocessor your xml2html
script will be one line longer, there will be
no overhead (  run-time checking
for 10 different engines in every 'non-portable'
place may eat significant resources ) +
you can make your stylesheets to
run on really  any  XSLT processor
with bigger probability.

BTW.  I see some other problem
here. ;-) The problem is "SAXON is
MS of XSLT" ;-) People are already
building  on top of SAXON's extensions
and this kills almost any way to port
their stylesheets to any other processor.

I have not made my mind on this effect yet,
but I have to admit that this effect really exists ;-)

Rgds.Paul.