Re: a novice's question

anilia bruho writes:
 > FO, I cannot express it either because there's no way there to program the
 > necessary choice algorithm. Finally I was able to solve this problem
 > satisfactorily using TeX, which allows to mix "control flow" and visual
 > statements (although TeX is a nightmare in many other respects).

This has come up before and I entirely sympathize. I have often
expressed the same reservations about the whole DSSSL/XSLFO model. You
*do* have the multi-switch/multi-case stuff in XSL FO (6.9.3 ff),
which could maybe do some of what you want, but so far as I know its
an entirely unexplored area. I do not think any of the XSL FO
implementations do anything with it.

 > So, what XSL experts would say? Am I missing something? Or am I, with my
 > designer needs, out of luck in XSL world?

I think the jury is out. We need more experience in doing real-world
design using FO.

Sebastian Rahtz