RE: Unicode and emacs

> Not ASCII, as another poster pointed out, but something else.
>  Probably ISO
> 8859-1 (Latin 1).
>
> >I'm fairly used to non plain chars in their xyz entity form,
> >but how do I translate these into glyphs please? Or character
> >references I might understand as a human, not a machine.
>
> You can't translate a character into a glyph; one is a
> concept, the other
> is a picture.

OK OK Chris, I admit I'm 'loose' with my terminology :-)

>  You can, however, convince Emacs to display
> the glyph for
> the character by typing M-x standard-display-european if the
> document is in
> Latin 1.  You can also use Mule, which comes with Emacs 20.6
> (and maybe
> earlier), which can do some pretty impressive display tricks.

I've seen the pull down, but never looked further than that!
(I now know what it stands for though!)
I'll peer into yet another aspect of emacs then!

> Octal!  And don't think you could easily search-and-replace
> on these guys;
> note by cursoring over it that \234 isn't four characters but one.

yep. Been there, done that. hightlight, M-% C-y return <replacement-char>
does it though.

Tks Chris.

Regards DaveP