me escape logic escapes me

Hi all,

I've noticed that when I use & entity as part of a value in a
<xsl:attribute name="src"> node, nameley for a dynamic URL with encoded
parameters, the parser refuses to change it to a "&" character. Fortunately,
it doesn't interfere with the loading of the URL in the src attribute in the
output HTML, but I am curious as to why I can't produce "&" within an
attribute... I have tried double escaping it as well, to no avail, and I
have also tried <![CDATA]]> and <xsl:text>, both of which output literal
characters, but both of which become escaped in the attribute of an HTML
tag. What exactly are the rules forthis or what does the spec say about it
(or is someone gonig to tell me to go read my parser documentation? (which i
eventually will).?

aaron