XML+XSL Workflow Advice?

Hello, all.

What a great resource this list is.. been reading for awhile, and while many
things are not immediately useful, I often find myself hunting back through the
posts because someone had posted something similar. Thanks!

Why I wrote...

I have recently been the main instigator and motivational force behind getting
XML+XSL into our workflow. We were using just JSPs before, and are now using
JSPs that output XML which then get translated into HTML via XSLT (acronym hell,
eh?) This works great! A fine division of data and style.

I am curious as to common practices of who does what etc and in what order.. for
instance who should define the XML structure? The person writing the XSLT?
Combined?

Is it typically graphics designers / HTML people that work on the XSLT? I am the
graphic designer for the project... but I also do coding and planning etc...
(we're a startup)... what roles do people typically hold before they become XSLT
pros?

Do people immediately start working within an XSL document or HTML or photoshop?
My first run-through (just somewhat completed) I created the design in
Photoshop... created HTML and images to mimic the static design... then
converted the HTML into an XSL stylesheet. Is this silly? Will I eventually skip
the straight HTML step? I found it help to clarify what the XSL was going to
help me do...

Do people define the XML structure for the site BEFORE they do anything? We did
not.. and instead sort of defined it off of what we found we needed (after
effectively creating the site)...

On the data side... do people create basic HTML mockups so that there is
somewhere to through the data while development?

I'm sure someone's figured out something that is efficient and practical. I'd
like to hear!

I'm mostly very curious to hear what people's workflow is like.. what roles are
involved... who does what... what works what doesn't.. etc.

Thanks!

Dylan Parker