Re: automatic generation of figure numbers

Dhruv Raheja writes:
 > <figure file="pic.gif">
 > Figure
 > </figure>
 >
 > The formatting is being done using XSL. The output should comprise:
 >
 > -the text "Figure"
 > -a number (e.g. "1").
 > The XSL code has a "count()"
 > command that counts the preceding <figure> elements and then assigns the
 > next number to the current <figure> element.

um, this is not the right way to do it. XSLT has a MUCH simpler
builtin method, xsl:number:

<xsl:template match="figure">
 Figure  <xsl:number level="any"/>
</xsl:template>

 > Then I feel the need to refer back
 > to "Figure 1".

_how_ do you refer to it? by ID? eg <figref idref="foo"/>?

<xsl:template match="figref">
 see Figure <xsl:apply-templates select="id(@idref)" mode="xref"/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="figure" mode="xref">
 Figure  <xsl:number level="any"/
</xsl:template>

but I suspect I misunderstand your markup. why not post a small sample
of your input XML?

Sebastian