RE: <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl=" ?????">

At 05:56 PM 10/05/2000 -0700, Evan Lenz wrote:
>[Quoting my message of 03:16 PM 10/05/2000 -0400]
> >In theory, the namespace URL (or URI, as it's called nowadays) doesn't make
> >any difference at all.
>
>Theory:
>
><snip href="http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#xslt-namespace">
>The XSLT namespace has the URI http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform.
>. . .
>XSLT processors must use the XML namespaces mechanism [XML Names] to
>recognize elements and attributes from this namespace.
></snip>

The "theory" I was referring to was the Namespaces in XML Recommendation,
not the XSLT Rec. By convention, the namespace "URI" generally follows the
classic http://whatever URL form, but the purpose of the URI -- to
disambiguate local names from multiple vocabularies -- could be served as
well by using URNs (as Microsoft does to associate XML docs with a Schema,
e.g.) or indeed by anything at all... "xyz," "MyDogHasFleas," whatever.
There certainly doesn't have to be (as the expression goes) a "there" there
at all.

In practice, as I said, the URI often has to have a specific value in order
to signal to a processor (of whatever kind), "Hey, Processor, wake up!
Elements using this (possibly null) prefix are for *your* attention!" And,
as you said, a compliant XSLT processor uses the
"http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" URI as its wake-up call.

>Okay, I'm being a butt.  Time to go home.  Good night.

Hmm. "Butt" is probably a little too harsh... but if I'd actually been
reading the list at the time your message appeared, yes, I'd have told you
to get some sleep. :)