What's an "XML Fragment"?

Section 13 of the XSLT specification, Messages, makes references to an
"XML fragment" data type that is mentioned nowhere else in the spec.
Specifically,

"The xsl:message is instantiated by instantiating the content to create
an XML fragment. This XML fragment is the content of the message."

I'm 90% certain that what's meant here is what is elsewhere called a
"result tree fragment". Can anybody confirm or deny that? In any case,
this seems to need an erratum to clarify the point.

|               Java I/O (O'Reilly & Associates, 1999)               |
|            http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/books/javaio/            |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=1565924851/cafeaulaitA/   |