RE: Grouping by name(), and tagging first item of group

You can't call a template based on a dynamically-generated name; it has to
be fixed at compile time. In this case you don't need to, just use

<xsl:apply-templates select="@*" mode="x"/>

and write your templates as

<xsl:template match="@title[.='']" mode="x">Some text</xsl:template>

Mike Kay