RE: versions and forwards compatibility

> Mike, I already confessed that I give up. I don't understand
> what does it mean when I write :
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>     xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>     version="1.0">
>
> I simply don't understand what does it mean. If I can
> insert constructions of XSLT v 1.1 into my stylesheet
> and processor will not behave differently comparing to
> situation when I use
>
> <xsl:stylesheet
>     xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"
>     version="1.1">
>
> What can I say? Nothing. I have no understanding what is this
> 'version' about. Is it written somewhere ?

The effect is described in XSLT section 2.5.

If you specify version="1.0", then an XSLT 1.0 processor must report an
error if you use an XSLT or XPath construct that is not defined in version
1.0.

If you specify version="2.0", say, then an XSLT 1.0 processor must attempt
fallback processing before reporting an error when you use such a construct.
The intent is that you can write a stylesheet that uses XSLT 2.0 features
but defines fallback processing to be invoked if it is run with an XSLT 1.0
processor.

Mike Kay