RE: Can XSL process and separate one XML file into several others?

You need to use an extension function which is available in
several of the XSLT processors (XT, Saxon, and Xalan all have this).
If you have it, check out Mike Kay's XSLT Programming Guide
for more information.

This is on the list of standard features for XSLT 1.1 -- but
the extension functions work for now.

Sara