RE: XML to RTF with XSL?

On RTF output...

The method Dan Vint describes would be analogous to using XSLT to create
RTF code directly, which, if you're desperate, could be done fairly well
(albeit painfully) in XSLT using a method="text" output. And Dan is right
-- Omnimark or Perl would be equally effective tools for this, I'd think.

What Linda is describing in DSSSL, however, uses DSSSL flow objects
(DSSSL's equivalent to XSL formatting objects) to construct an object model
that describes the (print) output directly. This is passed to a back-end
engine that takes that set of flow/formatting objects and re-expresses it
in RTF (or the format of your choice).

This has many advantages, including making for a much easier target format
for a transformation than raw RTF code -- why formatting objects are a good
thing -- but it does rely on that back-end transformation that knows what
to do with the formatting objects. So far the only formatters I've heard of
for XSL-FOs target PDF.

Like Linda, I'd love to see one that would target Word/RTF, Frame/MIF, a
Quark-friendly input format etc. etc. These are features on which XSL-FO
engines, it seems to me, ought to be able to compete. Because layout
designers always want (need) to tweak a page in little ways before
printing, it doesn't seem that PDF should be the only useful "terminal"
format for an XSL-FO engine.

When there is one, however, I'm pretty sure we'll hear about it... :-)

Cheers,
Wendell