Re: Images and XSL FO

At 16:24 2001 01 19 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>Paul Grosso writes:
> > Correct.  The theory of floats is complex (anyone familiar with the
> > details of TeX's inserts and such, as I know Sebastian is, can
> > appreciate this, and what TeX does with floats is less than half
> > of the actual complexity), and the XSL WG decided we'd never get
> > the XSL spec out if we didn't make some simplifying assumptions
> > in this area (the other alternative was to leave vertical floats
> > out of XSL 1.0 altogether, and we didn't want to do that).  So we
> > allowed for top floats only (and footnotes, but via the fo:footnote
> > FO) in XSL 1.0.
>
>I would have much preferred it if you had not been specific about
>*top floats*, but said simply that they floated somewhere else,
>details to be left to the formatter. No matter. I will assume that if
>PassiveTeX's floats end up at the bottom of the page, no-one will
>actually sue me.

But bottom floats have issues such as whether they come before or
after the footnotes.  Top floats had the least issues and are
probably (though I realize one could argue this) the most common
thing to do.  Note, you can float to the top of the next page--the
spec doesn't say it has to float to the top of the current page.
But it does say that specifically that float="before" means:
  that the block-areas generated by the fo:float shall be
  with area-class "xsl-before-float", and shall be descendants of
  a before-float-reference-area generated by a conditional sub-region
  of a region-body.
The 1.0 spec does not define an xsl-after-float area-class, so while
I would think it extreme for anyone to sue you, there doesn't seem to
be a lot of room for thinking the spec allows for float="before" to
end up at the bottom of the page in top-to-bottom writing modes.

paul