RE: Convert String to (node-set)

I tried using the saxon"evaluate function. However, I got an error in
expression when I processed the XSL using Saxon 5.4. What am I missing?

Snippet of XSL code:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl
="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:saxon="http://icl.com/saxon">
  <xsl:variable name="node" select="document('BER.xml')/CHANNEL/EVENT/NODE"
/>
  <xsl:variable name="chandoc" select="document('TSInsertBER.xml')" />

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:for-each select="$node//Node_path">
      <xsl:text>The Value retrieved from doc 2 is: </xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="saxon:evaluate($chandoc/.)" />
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:stylesheet>

                    "Michael Kay"
                    <mhkay@iclway.co.uk>               To:     <xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com>
                    Sent by:                           cc:
                    owner-xsl-list@lists.mulber        Subject:     RE: [xsl] Convert String to (node-set)
                    rytech.com

                    02/03/2001 12:43 PM
                    Please respond to xsl-list

> I am trying to parse two separate XML documents in one XSL
> stylesheet. This
> I can do!. My Q is, I am extracting the value of a node from
> XML doc. 1 and
> then I want to pass that as XPATH for parsing XML doc 2.

There is no standard way in XSLT of evaluating an XPath expression
constructed as a string or read from another document.

You can do it easily in Saxon using saxon:evaluate(), and in MSXML3 with
JavaScript extension functions using selectNodes().

Mike Kay