RE: Convert String to (node-set)

You are right and I did try out the Xalan 2 extensions. Here is a snippet
of the XSL code just FYI.

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl
="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:xalan
="http://xml.apache.org/xalan" exclude-result-prefixes="xalan">
  <xsl:template match="/">
      <xsl:variable name="npath" select="." />
      <xsl:value-of select="xalan:evaluate($npath)" />
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

                    "Michael Kay"
                    <mhkay@iclway.co.uk>               To:     <xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com>
                    Sent by:                           cc:
                    owner-xsl-list@lists.mulber        Subject:     RE: [xsl] Convert String to (node-set)
                    rytech.com

                    02/07/2001 05:02 AM
                    Please respond to xsl-list

> So, the obvious Q is, how do I integrate a SAXON extension
> fn. when I want
> to use XALAN (LAtest release, 2.0) from my JAVA program.

I think that almost all the Saxon built-in extension functions are written
to make use of internal Saxon interfaces, so they won't work with a
different processor.

But the good news is that Xalan-Java 2 has its own implementations of some
of the extension functions that were previously only in Saxon, for example
there appears to be a xalan:evaluate().

I think it should be possible, though I haven't proved it, to write your
stylesheet to use xx:evaluate(), and map xx to the Saxon extension function
in a <saxon:script> element (just introduced in Saxon 6.2), and to the
Xalan
extension function in <xalan:script>, so that the stylesheet works with
either processor.

Mike Kay