Re: Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...

Kevin Duffey wrote:
> Oh yeah..not sure if you know this or not, but a "performance" tip..

Yes, I knew there were better ways to do it, and I've done those things
before; I didn't have access to that code though and I just wanted to get
across the general idea, and JSP declarations, in case it was going to be
helpful.

> Lastly, can you think of any other characters that are a problem when used
> in input boxes, text areas, or drop-downs that need to be converted?

" -> &quot; only needs to happen when you're putting the string into an
attribute value that is delimited by double quotes. Same for ' -> &apos;
when using apostrophes.

Escaping these characters is only half of your worries. The other half is
that you cannot be guaranteed of the encoding of the form data that
arrives in the HTTP request. When people enter non-ASCII characters,
your JSP engine has maybe an 80% chance of decoding them properly.

   - Mike