Re: Converting &, >, <, ", and other odd-ball characters...

Kevin Duffey wrote:
> Interesting dilema. For the most part, we are a b2b site that deals with
> specific clients. Very unlikely this will occur, as far as the non-ascii
> characters. I guess you could just "omit" them? I am not sure how it would
> be handled. How do you make a web-based solution work with these characters?

This isn't really the forum for this, so I'll just point you to 2 articles
I wrote recently:

http://skew.org/xml/misc/URI-i18n/
http://skew.org/xml/misc/xml_vs_http/

The answer is, basically, you don't make it work. I've seen message board
forms that collect language info (user-entered, or obtained from HTTP
Accept-Language headers) and make an educated guess about the encoding
based on that, but it's always just a guess. IE4/5 is fairly predictable
and even makes the actual encoding available, if scripting is turned on,
so if you're targeting those browsers, you have more control. As for
omitting non-ASCII characters, sure, you could do that. *cringe* :)

   - Mike