RE: Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status

> > A colleague of mine has written an excellent paper
> describing a new way
> > of looking at creating XSLT documents.
>
> This is just what some people call the "pull" method.
> In fact XSLT has a mechanism which is specifically there to
> make it act
> more like the ASP type of templating language that you mention.
>
> Having simplified your stylesheet down to to a single match="/"
> template into which you "pull" the data, you can go the next step and
> miss out the surrounding xsl:stylesheet and xsl:template elements
> and just start off with (typically) the html element.
> You just need to have an xsl:version attribute in the xsl namespace.

I think that this is defeating the message that was being relayed by the
paper.  The idea was to leverage currently accessible and widely used
structures like HTML to learn XSLT.  However, if you were to cut things down
to the <HTML></HTML> stuff given in the example, people are going to learn
this and then have a problem unlearning it in order to use multiple
templates.  Yes, starting out with the outer XSLT stuff might be more
cumbersome, it's only slightly moreso and will definitely be more beneficial
than a method of oversimplification like the <HTML></HTML> stuff.

Just a thought.

	CS