Re: Q on XML 2 XML/plain text

On Fri, 09 Mar 2001, Rosa wrote:
> At the moment, all I know about XSL is transforming XML to HTML, and we can
> see the results using the browser eg. ie5.5.  What if I wanted to transform
> XML into XML or just normal word text doco?

<xsl:output method="xml"/>
or
<xsl:output method="text"/>

There is no output method "word" at the moment, only plain text.
Doubtless someone will write one soon :-)

The fastest way to get Word from XML is to load the XML file in
WordPerfect and click File | Save As... and choose Word as the
format (but you need to do a WP stylesheet, it can't use XSL).

> HOW/WHERE can I view the results?

You can open an XML file with MSIE 5.5, Netscape 6, and several
other browsers. Or use a normal XML editor. Text files you can
open with any editor.

> Can you save it in a file?

The default for most externally-called XSLT processors *is* to
save the output in a file.

> I don't think you can view the translated XML/text doco result
> in the browser (actually not sure about text doco, but pretty
> sure you can't for XML).  Can anyone please tell me how to
> view the XML/text results?

See above. I'd be interested to know why you believe browsers
won't open XML or plain text files.

///Peter