efficient XML & XSL -> HTML solution

Hi,
I need an efficient solution for putting together XML & XSL
and serving it out as HTML. It seems like the most efficient
way would be to generate static HTML from the XML & XSL
and then serve it out from my Web Server. Or I could use
mod_xslt for Apache or Cocoon to put these together dynamically
(i.e. just before the page is served out).
Since I don't need to put them together dynamically, I'm reluctant
to do this. On the other hand it would be nice not to have
to generate the html every time the XML or XSL changes.
Has anyone tried mod_xslt ? How efficient is it (compared to
serving straight HTML) ? Does it use caching to speed things
up (perhaps check the timestamp on the XML & XSL files instead
of blindly generating the HTML for every request) ?
Thanks :-)
-Sher