transform method of javax.xml.transform.Transformer keeps running its thread after throwing exception

I tried to transform an xml file which is not well-formed. its very simple.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--docnode-->
<objectlist>

I added an ErrorListener and found out that the exception is a fatalError:
The element type "objectlist" must be terminated by the matching end-tag
"</objectlist>". I then catch and log this exception. Great so far!

But javax.xml.transform.Transformer.transform keeps running its thread even
after throwing the TransformerExeption.

Is this a bug in XalanJ2.0 or is there a way to stop the transformation when
i catch the exception.

thanks

-Vasu