RE: attribute nodes

At 12:03 5-05-2001, Michael Fitzgerald wrote:
>I'm not trying to solve any big problems here -- it just seems odd that a
>node is not a child node because of its label.

That's what I thought.  I certainly have no quarrel with curiosity.

>I also think it is
>interesting that because an attribute is always a leaf, it can be neither a
>parent or a child.  Are there other examples of such "bobbles" on trees or
>is it common in data models to have semi-nodes? I trow not.

Not common, I don't think, but attributes aren't unique in this sense in
the XPath data model; namespace nodes have the same quirk.  Element, PI,
comment, and text nodes all are children of their parents, and the root
node has no parent.

>Nonetheless,
>this is not dangerous nor does it ever seem difficult to process attribute
>nodes. It is merely amusing.

(-:

-Chris
--