XSL output media type

I am using Xalan to convert XML to Text/HTML on a web server.  I want to
output text from the web server such that the user is prompted to SAVE the
text file onto his local machine.  I've tried specifying unusual media-types
in my xsl:output tag but nothing seems to work.  For example, translation
using this XSL:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  <xsl:output method="text" encoding="UTF-8"
media-type="application/octet-stream"/>
<xsl:template match="/">
testing 1 2 3
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

...always displays the "testing 1 2 3" text _within the web browser_, even
though the media-type is specified as "application/octet-stream" which
normally prompts a user with a Save dialog box.

Anyone have a clue how to make this work?

Thanks
-Ted

Ted Weatherly                         Usability Engineer, R&D
Slam Dunk Networks, Inc.                    main 650.632.5500
http://www.slamdunknetworks.com           direct 650.632.5594
email: tweather@slamdunknetworks.com         fax 650.632.5501