Re: xsl:include is necessary after all

Evan Lenz wrote:

> For a while now, I've been under the mistaken assumption that xsl:include is
> not strictly necessary--that xsl:import is all you really need.
> http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200008/msg00030.html
>
> I guess my assumption was that priority was resolved first, and then import
> precedence. No, it's the other way around. In other words, when rules
> conflict, the one with higher import precedence overrides all rules with
> lower import precedence, regardless of their priority. The real implication
> of this is that if I have a template matching * in my importing stylesheet,
> then template rules in my imported stylesheet that match specific element
> types will always be ignored.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#conflict
>
> If I don't want them to be ignored, then I have to use xsl:include.

In some cases, you can lower the priority of the template matching * in
your importing stylesheet.

In can become tricky in complex situations (for instance if you have
also templates matching * in your imported stylesheets), but otherwise
there shouldn't be any consequence in assigning lower priorities to
generic templates.

BTW, what IMHO would be nice is the ability to assign priorities
relative to the level of import (ie priority="+/-nnn")...

My 0,02 Euros.

Eric

> I'm sure many of you already knew this, but it was kind of a revelation for
> me, so that's why I'm posting it.
>
> Evan Lenz
> XYZFind Corp.

See you in Berlin for XML Europe 2001: