Re: Problem

If it is always the same file then it is very easy. You use the document
function to call in the XML to your stylesheet and apply-templates to it.
For example:

<xsl:variable name="news" select="document('../newsfolder/news1')"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="$news" mode="news"/>

If you have varying "floating" content then you need to (the way I do it...)
associate it with the main content piece in a "site-config" XML file. I use
a gui and have editors/admin types pick which floating content they want to
associate with a particular page.

Then when the page is getting rendered it calls (document function) the
site-config XML file to find the floating pieces (could be more than one)
and pulls them in using another document funcation call. For example:

<!-- find the correct section to pull the floating content  ...example...-->
<xsl:variable name="floaters"
select="document('../xml/site-config.xml)//section[@id='$id')]/floaters"/>
<xsl:apply-templates select="$floaters"/>

 then as you read the floaters nodeset, call the document function on each
floater node and apply-templates on it.