RE: Supported encodings

> Does anyone know if Saxon supports the encoding "iso-8859-1"?
> I am making
> this call in Java:
>      transformer.setOutputProperty(OutputKeys.ENCODING, "iso-8859-1");
>
> I don't mean to cast any doubt upon Mr. Kay, but has anyone
> found any holes
> where Saxon may have defaulted to UTF-8 unexpectedly.

When you ask for an encoding that the Java VM doesn't support, Saxon will
fall back to UTF-8, with a message to that effect. I think there are
versions of the Microsoft Java VM that don't support iso-8859-1 encoding,
and perhaps there are others.

I've also recently discovered a problem if you specify a java Writer as the
output destination, rather than an OutputStream. In this case, the encoding
of the final output file is determined entirely by the Java VM, but Saxon
still writes the encoding it thinks it is using (e.g. iso-8859-1 in this
case) to the XML declaration.

Mike Kay