RE: XML serializer implemented in XSLT

Dave Pawson wrote:
> > I recently finished working on this project. I've frequently
> > come across the
> > need to escape XML, especially for display in a browser.
> > Example uses of it
> > are given on the page referenced below. xml-to-string.xsl
> > will work with any
> > conformant XSLT processor. It is meant to be used as an
> > imported stylesheet
> > module. All feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Simple feedback Evan :-)
>   Whats it for?

I wrote it for use in generating part of our software at XYZFind. The server
console in our next release has a query language tutorial that requires XML
queries to be displayed in an HTML textarea. (Everyone is free to use
xml-to-string.xsl, by the way.) The xml-to-string2.html document uses the
same basic JavaScript in the importing stylesheet, as I use in our product.
There are a number of times where we've needed functionality like this. At
one point, we implemented an extension element that extended saxon:output. I
never liked that of course, so I decided to try it out myself.

> Nothing on the page suggests when it might be useful?

I guess the examples might not speak very well for themselves, so I added a
couple sentences about how it might be useful.

Hope this helps,
Evan