Re: Getting equivalence classes on attributes

At 21:15 17-06-2001, Rafael R. Sevilla wrote:
>Hello.  Is there a way to write an XPath expression that will return each
>equivalence class on the value of an attribute, i.e. every collection of
>nodes whose value for a certain attribute are the same e.g.
>
><foo att="bar"/>
>
><foo att="bar" att2="quux"/>
>
><blah att="bar"/>
>
><foo att="baz"/>
>
><foo att="quux"/>
>
>The first three elements would belong to one equivalence class on the
>attribute 'att', while the fourth would belong to another, and the fifth
>to yet another.  I would want an XPath expression that would return each
>of these equivalence classes.  Is this possible?

Well, if you were going to match templates on bar, baz, or quux elements,
you'd do this:

<xsl:template match="bar">
</xsl:template>

So if you want to match on all elements with an att attribute equal to
"bar", try this:

<xsl:template match="*[@att='bar']">
</xsl:template>

If you want to find all such elements, you'd use an expression like

HTH,
Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, XML Consultant