Re: xsl:sort and xsl:key

Kerin:

I'd guess the most glaring pratfall is an elementary one (so apologies if
it doesn't apply to you).

That is to mistake

<xsl:sort select="key()"/>

as having the effect of selecting the node-set retrieved by the key, and
sorting them. Really what it does is sort the current node list using the
value(s) of the node-set(s) retrieved by the key() expression (for each
node in the list), as the sort key for an alphabetic or numeric sort.

Does that make sense? In other words, someone who hasn't mastered sorting
might say this when they really mean:

<xsl:apply-templates select="key()">
   <xsl:sort/>
</xsl:apply-templates>

Getting, no doubt, very erratic results (including errors from using
xsl:sort where it's not allowed). But without knowing what you're trying to
do, I can't say if that describes your case.

Cheers,
Wendell