Re: generating a repeatable unique id

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 09:40:18PM +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> Colin Muller writes:
>  > Not sure how repeatable 'repeatable' needs to be, but if the document
>  > is not going to change before you get back to it with the id, you can
>  > do what I do when creating HTML forms for editing XML docs: save a
>  > temporary file in which every element gets associated with this:
>
> Hmm, interesting idea. My real problem with that is that I am inside a
> web server at transformation time, and I dont really want it
> scribbling temporary files.

If the doc hasn't changed, you could arrive at the same count during
your XSLT processing when the later request comes in, without saving
any temp files. Thanks for making me think of this, it might simplify
my life a bit.

>Apart from anything else, it *could* be
> weeks before someone hits the link button which activates the request
> for a section. Of course, this screws me anyway, as the original
> document might have changed... oh yuck.

Yuck indeed. I don't think XSLT was really intended to be a revision
control system, and I haven't noticed an exsl:md5, either ;-)

Colin