Re: UTF-8 chars in XSL output?

   Hi again; I've narrowed my problem down, if you're following:

   I have a UTF-8 XML file with unusual characters (left and right
   double-quotes).

   If I set <xsl:output encoding="US-ASCII"/>, I see the quotes;
   if I let it default to UTF-8, I don't.

   Does this mean that my source XML is *not* UTF-8, as Perl's
   Unicode::String::utf8 claims it to be?

Not really enough there information to help, but a guess:
when you ask for utf8 (or get it by default) then th esystem does write
out the result in utf8 but whatever you are using to look at th eoutput
doesn't read utf8 so you don't see the uotes.

By specifying ascii output you force your XSL system to output the
quotes as &#1234; and whatever system you are using to llok at the
output does understand character references.

If it's the browser you are using to read the output make sure that you
have the encoding set to utf8 or auto, not that you are forcing it to be
latin 1.

David