Where do I put <xsl:script>

Where do I put the <xsl:script> command? I was trying:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:param name="view-source"/>
<xsl:script language="javascript"
function showdate() {
	var d = new date()
	return (d);
}
</xsl:script>
<!--   some code -->
<xsl:eval>showdate()</xsl:eval>

But I kept on getting the following error from Cocoon
(javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: xsl:script is not allowed in this
position in the stylesheet!).

I checked Yahoo for sites containing <xsl:script> but they were referring to
MSXML, something I am not using. However, I did locate a petition to remove
<xsl:script> from XSL 1.1
(http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200103/msg00043.html) but when I
checked out the specs (http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt11/), the command is still
there. From the specs, I gather that the <xsl:script> should be near the top
of the XSL command. Originally, I tried putting the <xsl:script> inside my
document, where I actually want the display to go. What is the proper format
for embedding javascript and where should I put it to avoid the "not allowed
in this position" error? I also tried putting the command before the
<xsl:stylesheet.. command and of course that did not work.

>From the URL (http://www.hypermedic.com/style/xsl/xsl_tut2.txt), I tried
using <define-script>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"