Re: Re: Re: ?XSLT Repository?

Dimitre Novatchev wrote:

> > goto www.exslt.org
> >
> > or http://xsltsl.sourceforge.net
> >
> > or http://www.vbxml.com/snippetcentral/main.asp
>
> Of these three www.vbxml.com and xsltsl.sourceforge.net contain 100% pure XSLT
> solutions.
>
> All three are limited and incomplete, are created by small groups of people and
> therefore much more needs to be accomplished.
>
> I think that these examples show why a W3C-developed Standard XSLT Template Library
> would be an extremely valuable and useful (self-implementing) specification.

The W3C may not be the right place for that kind of effort.
There's also OASIS.

However, why not do the same as the XML-DEV mailing list has done
for SAX and have the Standard Template Library developed right here?

>From my point-of-view there are two main efforts: EXSLT and XSLTSL
(ouch: too many acronyms... maybe we should think of some more
pleasant names for these?).  One obvious thing to do is to ensure that
these two projects are well-defined and complementary (ie.
non-overlapping):
EXSLT should provide functionality which is not possible using XSLT
and XSLTSL is pure XSLT.  Where the _functionality_ overlaps then
the API should be standardised.  If we can also synchronise the
engineering standards across the two projects, that will make the
developer's lives easier (as you have already noted in previous
correspondance).

Rich cross-linking between the two project's websites will ensure
that folks will find the pieces that they need to get their job done.

There probably also needs to be a third project.  Given the nature
of XSLT, some kinds of functionality must be expressed in terms of
complete stylesheets, rather than template libraries.  In this case
we could have a library of boiler-plate stylesheets which people
can modifying for their own purposes.  An example might be a stylesheet
for comparing two XML documents.  The XSLT FAQ might be a good place
to start for this project.

My AUD0.02 worth...

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas