Re: XML to Word Document

Jon,

Any system that will process xsl-fo documents will likely be able to produce
PDF, and FOP (http://xml.apache.org/fop) should do that on Windows as well
as on any other java platform.  (Even if an xsl-fo processor doesn't make
PDF directly, you can use any PostScript printer driver to produce
PostScript, then use the GhostScript ps2pdf utility to get PDF.)

If I were going to set up an XML publishing system on Windows I would use
Sebastian Rahtz's passiveTeX system
(http://users.ox.ac.uk/~rahtz/passivetex/) in conjunction with MikTeX
(http://www.miktex.org).  And you'll need your XSLT processor of choice to
create the xsl-fo document from xml source.

Unless you regularly require advanced formatting features such as floated
graphics and complex page layouts, this type of system should work quite
well for producing high-quality PDF output.  It is scaleable and
stylesheet-driven, so you have complete control at every stage.  You can
easily create a script (using Windows command language, née DOS batch file,
or your favorite scripting language) for automatic batch processing.

Hope this helps,
--Paul

Paul Tyson, Principal Consultant                   Precision Documents
paul@precisiondocuments.com              http://precisiondocuments.com
     "The art and science of document engineering."