Re: "*|@*|text()" vs. "node()"

> But when will <xsl:template match="@href"> be selected?

A template is only executed if its match attribute matches a node in the
current node list (and has highest priority/import precedence)

Since attributes are not in the default selection of apply-templates
this template will only fire if you explictly include the attribute axis
in some apply-templates. But I thought you said that you were not
selecting attributes when you got the error.

As it uses xsl:attribute, then it should generate a runtime error if it
is not immediately after a new element node has been started in the
result tree. But if templates are not applied to attributes, then this
can never happen.

> You can try it out with Xalan.
Not without a full (small) example stylesheet and source doc, I can't.

David