Re: create multiple documents

Hi Sebastian,

> But I just wanted to say that the need to create multiple output
> documents may be an illusion. It may be enough simply to refer back
> to the master document again and again to get different portions. I
> know this has been discussed many times, and it is foul to make work
> (thanks to Chris for helping with my own setup!), but the concept is
> there.

I think the main reason you might want to create multiple output
documents is for efficiency, just in terms of parsing inputs,
'compiling' the stylesheet and constructing portions that are repeated
on several pages. The secondary reason would be to allow you to use
generated IDs to link between several pages.

I guess that a good solution that used a stylesheet that only
generated one output would combine that stylesheet with a bunch of
code that cached input document(s) and the 'compiled' stylesheet, or
perhaps had a series of transformations so that common stuff was only
generated once. And of course you can construct IDs in ways other than
using generate-id().

But mainly then I'd prefer to avoid having to code something in Java
to manage it all efficiently, and rather have the XSLT processor take
care of all that. So I don't think I agree that the requirement is an
illusion. (Of course I'm only talking about server-side
transformations here, and actually mainly talking about batch
transformations.)

Cheers,

Jeni

---