Re: string replace with ­

Miller, James V (CRD) wrote:
> Either of these is fine with me.  I am just trying to allow the
> browser to break the string "machine.site.domain" at the '.'
> over a line-end.  If there is a hyphenless way to do this, that
> would be great.

Some print-formatters have routines to do this but I don't know
of one for XSLT, and I don't know how many browsers will honour
the relevant non-spacing break character (Unicode expert needed
here).

> This content is inside of a table element and am I just trying
> to give the browser an opportunity to reformat the string.

A very good idea.

> I would also like allow the browser to break lines at a "/".

That would be one of the permissible breakpoints, but you run
into trouble if it breaks the "method" component as in http:/
/www.w3.org in the "wrong" place. This is why an algorithm is
needed, not a simple insertion.

> Is there a difference in what is returned by xsl:value-of
> when called for an element vs an attribute?

If the two contain identical character data, no.

> As a concrete example, the attribute value
>
> ./Common/Testing/Cxx/ObjectFactory.cxx
>
> should have been translated to
>
> .­/Common­/Testing­/Cxx­/ObjectFactory.cxx
>
> but becomes
>
> .A-/CommonA-/TestingA-/CxxA-/ObjectFactory.cxx

Wrong encoding, I think.

///Peter