Whitespace in XSLT: Everything you ever wanted to know

In case it hasn't been brought up here, there is an article by Bob
DuCharme on xml.com that talks about how to deal with whitespace issues
in XSLT.  The article is the most understandable, practical, and
complete treatment I have seen.  I figured it's appropriate for readers
of this group, since many of the problems that beginners ask us are
whitespace-related, and frustration with perceived limitations in
whitespace handling can often discourage beginners from continuing with
XSLT.  The article is (it has 3 parts):
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/11/07/whitespace.html