RE: Regular expression functions (Was: Re: comments on December F&O draft)

that was the idea, yeah

> On the other hand, if you have a standard regular expression, perhaps
> something that you use in a lot of other regular expressions, it would
> be handy to have that regular expression stored somewhere separate.
> As a simple example, say I had a regular expression that matched
> numbers in scientific notation:
>
>   [0-9]+(\.[0-9]+)?([Ee][+-][0-9]+)?

a very good case and something we should consider

> As I say, the problem with doing that is those ()s - I need to know
> what ()s are used where in order to tell what subexpressions I'm
> matching.
>
> This could be solved in two ways:
>
>   - introducing a syntax (to XML Schema regular expressions - perhaps
>     you already have it) for non-capturing matches
>   - introducing a syntax for naming the subexpressions rather than
>     numbering them

case 2 will eventually be what we are aiming for, I guess

and I better should look up the XML Schema regex spec, too - for now we
are using 'whatever is supported by Jakarta-ORO' ;-)

anyway, thanks for your suggestions!

regards,

</Steven>