How to Create Side Heads in XSL-FO

I'm just starting out trying to create a production FO style and I'm
somewhat stymied by how to create "side heads" (a search in the archives
on "side head" returned no hits).

I think I could do it using either a single-item fo:list or a single-row
table but I'm thinking that it must be easier and that I'm just missing
the obvious.

Can anyone offer some advice? For example, I need to format a chapter
title on a page where the body text is indented to 72pts creating an
offset column layout. The chapter number is left justified against the
page edge (left margin) and the title text is in the offset column.

What obvious thing about block placement am I missing in order to see
how to solve this problem in the simplest way?

Thanks,

Eliot
ISOGEN International, LLC