Problems with <xsl:template match...> in style sheet

I'm applying a style sheet to an XML file that contains the following
hierarchy:

<DOCUMENT>
	<DATA_SET1>
		<DATA>
		<DATA>
		<DATA>
	<DATA_SET1>
	<DATA_SET2>
		<DATA>
		<DATA>
		<DATA>
	<DATA_SET2>
<DOCUMENT>

The style sheet outputs the DATA_SET2 node and formats it into tables.

At the beginning of the template I use <xsl:template match="DATA_SET2">
to get the second data set, and the ouput formats correctly into the
tables and rows, BUT, the stylesheet is also "throwing up" the entire
DATA_SET1 as text only right before the DATA_SET2 tables begin.

This is strange behavior that I cannot explain.  I've tried changing the
match parameters to "DOCUMENT/DATA_SET2" and it still spits out the
entire DATA_SET1 before it formats my DATA_SET2 into tables and rows.

Any suggestions?

Brian Magick